GET THE FACTS
DEALING WITH ANXIETY
Do you have intense feelings of worry or distress that are not easy to control?
We all experience some anxiety in our lives, for example when faced with stressful situations, like just before a sporting match, an exam or a presentation. This is normal and can actually help us perform better by getting us alert and motivated (g-ing us up!!). But people with an anxiety disorder find that their anxiety gets in the way of their daily life and stops them from achieving their full potential – anxiety can be damn scary!
Anxiety can be different for everyone, but there are some common signs and symptoms:
- a racing heart
- muscle tension
- feeling sick in the stomach
ANXIETY MIGHT ALSO INVOLVE:
- persistent worrying and excessive fear
- being unable to control the worries in your head
- being unable to relax
- avoiding challenging situations
- being socially isolated
- having trouble concentrating and paying attention
- feeling irritated
- poor sleep
- panic attacks
THINK YOU MIGHT BE EXPERIENCING ANXIETY?
If you are concerned about your mental health you can take a free, online and anonymous anxiety self-test here: https://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/clinical-resources/anxiety/anxiety-self-test
It can be tough asking for help when you’re not feeling good, no doubt about it! The good news is that most people experiencing anxiety can get better with the right help. While some days may be better than others, with the right support you can get back to LIVIN again.
If you or someone you know might be suffering anxiety, there’s a lot of help available. Some options include:
- The first step is going to see your doctor; however, you can also contact beyondblue on 1300 224 636 for advice and support on next steps if going to see a doctor is not an option for you right now.
- If you think you might act on any thoughts or plans to harm yourself, you can access crisis support 24/7 from Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 or Lifeline on 13 11 14.
- If you have hurt yourself or need immediate support, call 000.
TIPS & TRICKS
THINGS TO DO TO STAY WELL.
There are simple things you can do to stay on top of your Mental Health. We have outlined some of our favourites in our LIVINWell Tips & Tricks Sheet.
DOWNLOAD OUR LIVINWELL TIPS & TRICKS SHEET
Get helpful diet and exercise ideas as well as positive psychology and wellness tips.
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh